The Press Club, Mumbai endeavors to promote best practices among the journalistic community and encourages good quality writing, fair play and high ethical standards. In the pursuit of these goals, the Press Club has been honouring the best performers among photo-journalists in Mumbai for the last 9 years. Recognition of merit by a professional platform, we believe, adds dignity to journalism and helps us strive to reach higher peaks.
Now the time has come to expand our offering from photo-journalism to journalistic writing. We are making a small start with two categories in the memory of 2 senior journalist members of the Press Club who excelled in the field they covered.
- K N Prabhu, a journalist par excellence who was a leader in cricket writing, passed away on July 30, 2006. In his memory, the Press Club has instituted The K N Prabhu Award for the Best Cricket Writing of the year.
- Pradeep Shinde, who shaped crime coverage and trained crime reporters in the print media for several decades, passed away on November 6, 2009. To honour his contribution there will be an annual Pradeep Shinde Award for the best crime story every year.
Conditions of Entry:
1. The K N Prabhu Award for Cricket Writing and the Pradeep Shinde Award for the Best Crime Story will both carry a cash prize of Rs one lakh. The winning article/story will be awarded prize money of Rs 75,000 and a citation. The next best entry will be awarded prize money of Rs 25,000 and a citation.
2. Indian journalists residing anywhere in the country are eligible to apply for the two awards
3. Entries are invited of articles that have been published on an established media platform (newspapers, magazines or websites) and that have been published in calendar year 2010.
4. Applicants will be allowed to enter a maximum 3 of their best by-lined stories, and should be accompanied as far as possible by a photocopy of the original published version in the respective newspapers / magazines.
5. Entries of published articles can be in any language, but those entries not in English must be accompanied by an English translation.
6. Entries are required to be recommended/ supported by the Editor or Department Head of media platform.
7. Entries must be sent by January 24th, 2011 as a soft copy to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. This should be followed by a hard copy accompanied by the documents detailed above as well as a short CV and address of the journalist author delivered to the Press Club office or posted to: The Manager, The Press Club, Mumbai, Glass House, Azad Maidan, Mahapalika Marg, Mumbai - 400 001 by January 29, 2011. The envelope/cover with the article must be marked ‘Journalist Awards’.
8. The Awards Ceremony will be held in Mumbai on February 15, 2011. Those winners who are not from Mumbai will be provided air fare to and fro and hotel accommodation.
9. A distinguished panel of 3 judges in both categories appointed by the Press Club will decide on the winning entries. The decision of the panel will be final.
Press Club, Mumbai
January 5, 2011
Press Club, Mumbai,
Glass House, Mahapalika Marg,
Adjacent to Azad Maidan,Mumbai - 400001